Board index
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 predictions RE-VISITED
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 am 
Indicted Stalker

Ahh, better late than never. In this post, I will be revisiting my predictions from the 2017 season in anticipation for my inevitable 2018 predictions.

CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES

ROTY- I picked Gragson, and boy was I wrong. Both BKR drivers beat him soundly. Gragson did improve late in the season and I suspect he will have quite a better 2018...

CHASERS… err.. Playoffers?

8. Ryan Truex- Missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker

7. Ben Rhodes- Won the aforementioned tiebreaker over Truex and went on to score his first career win in the playoffs (I predicted him scoring his first victory but thought it would be before the playoffs started)

6. Timothy Peters- His team shut down mid season. He would have easily pointed in otherwise

5. John Hunter Nemechek- Scored two victories but completely fell apart in the playoffs

CHAMPIONSHIP FOUR

4. Grant Enfinger- WHIFF. missed the playoffs. Won't happen again this year though...

3. Johnny Sauter- Ended up 2nd

2. Matt Crafton- Ended up 4th

CHAMPION- Christopher Bell. DING DING DING

XFINITY SERIES

ROTY- I picked Byron in one of the easiest picks anyone could ever make

IN THE PLAYOFFS

12. Darrell Wallace Jr- Would have easily made it in had his team not shut down

11. Michael Annett- I had him slightly too low but knew he would be well off from his three teammates

10. Cole Custer- I didn't take him seriously after missing the truck playoffs in 2016 but he actually ended up 5th after his Homestead win.

9. Ryan Reed- Spot on

8. Brandon Jones- Hoo boy. Um... well. I never would have picked him to finish well outside the top 15. What a regression. Yet he somehow landed a JGR ride after THAT. Can I even pick this dude to make the playoffs driving for JGR? (spoiler alert: yes. yes I can)

7. Brendan Gaughan- Barely snuck in. Will be reduced to part time in 2018 sadly.

6. Matt Tifft- Spot on. He will move to RCR this year so expect some regression, unless he is the second coming of Brian Scott and inexplicably runs better for RCR than he did with JGR.

5. Daniel Hemric- Ended up 4th. Not too far off, but wait until you read my Poole blurb...

CHAMPIONSHIP FOUR

4. Brennan Poole- So, Poole ended up 6th or 7th. But... here's the thing. He was in during Phoenix mid race and he crashed, allowing Hemric to transfer to Homestead. Had Poole held his position, and ended up 4th, knocking Hemric back to 5th, I would have correctly pegged the ENTIRE TOP 5. Not sure if that is a testament to my pickings or how predictable this series has become...

3. Justin Allgaier- DING DING DING

2. Elliott Sadler- DING DING DING

Champion: William Byron- aaaaaaand DING DING DING

MONSTER ENERGY CUP SERIES

ROTY- I correctly chose Jones. It was very close between him and Suarez. This years ROTY battle will not be as close...

First time winners-

Chase Elliott and Erik Jones. Nope and nope. Not only that but I missed Stenhouse Dillon and Blaney

Notable winless- I need to stop making this a thing....

Marquee Race winners

Daytona 500 pole- I incorrectly picked Dale Jr. Can ya blame me?

Daytona 500- Brad Keselowski was a non factor in this race (but was a major factor in the other 3 plate races)

Coke 600- Well I got the first time winner part right... just picked the wrong guy. Not only that, Chase wrecked on lap 25 or something and DNFed

Brickyard 400- I picked Kyle Busch and he probably would have won had this race not turned into....whatever the hell that was

Southern 500- I correctly picked Hamlin. But since his win was encumbered, I guess my pick is also?

The Righties- I said I was officially done picking Harvick at Sonoma. I should have gave it one more whirl apparently... I DID however pick Truex at the Glen right!

PLAYOFFS?!? Don't talk about… playoffs. PLAYOFFS?!?

16. Ryan Blaney- My dark horse pick got in, and actually finished much higher than this much to my surprise!

15. Erik Jones- Missed

14. Dale Earnhardt Jr- Not even close. BUT... not my worst pick lol. (see: 3rd place)

13. Kurt Busch- Made it in only due to his 500 win and was around here in points.

12. Clint Boywer- missed. I gotta stop over evaluating this guy...

11. Daniel Suarez- Missed

10. Matt Kenseth- Spot on, and I called the 1 win season

9. Kevin Harvick- I really didn't think he'd make the final 4 with SHR going through a manufacturer change. I was wrong

8. Martin Truex- Wow... I still can't get over the fact that a guy who won 3 races in a DECADE PLUS in Cup now has 12 wins and a title in the two years since.... I knew this was a possibility with the way the 78 has been running but I talked myself out of actually believing it

7. Kyle Larson- He ended up lower because of a horrible run in the playoffs but let's not kid ourselves, he was a top 5 driver all year. I didn't expect 4 wins though...

6. Denny Hamlin- Ended up around here, as has been the norm. Always above average but just below what is needed for a title run basically every year since 2014

5. Chase Elliott- So...about the 3 wins. HA! He did end up close to here in points though

CHAMPIONSHIP FOUR

4. Jimmie Johnson- An inexplicable off season for HMS all around

3. Joey Logano- Here it is folks, my WORST PREDICTION OF 2017! But it looked so chalky before the season. I think Logano rebounds nicely in 2018. How nicely? We'll see...

2. Kyle Busch- I got one right! Dilly Dilly!

CHAMPION: Brad Keselowski- Well... he did make the final 4. But Penske was slightly off last year.

So for my 2018 Predictions. I'm going to use the same lay out with one twist. I will be posting them on February 1. However, I will not reveal my Cup playoff drivers. Then, from Feb 2-17, I will reveal one driver per day with a blurb about why I put them where I did, and this will be sort of a countdown to the Daytona 500 which is the 18th. I want to see how this plays out, if nothing else it will keep people checking daily and lead to (hopefully) people trying to play the elimination game to figure out who my champion pick is. So, until then, take care everyone!

It's life that scares me to death...

Post subject: Re: 2017 predictions RE-VISITED
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:03 am 
Addicted Stalker

Two series Champions and a close call on the third? Dude! Great job, OTP. :rok:

Post subject: Re: 2017 predictions RE-VISITED
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

I predict Dale Jr. won't make the chase, but will win most popular driver again, despite not driving. Just kidding, cutie-pie Chase will win MPD.
I predict Chase Elliott will continue to be loved by women everywhere and might even win a race. Especially since NASCAR needs him to win some.
I predict Kyle Busch will continue to act like the south-end of a north-bound donkey.
I predict NASCAR attendance will stabilize, but viewership will continue to decline.