Board index
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The economy is booming . . .
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 am 
Addicted Stalker

. . . will it translate to more sponsorship money in NASCAR?

"Love the Sinner, hate the sin" ~~St. Augustine, roughly translated from the phrase "Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum"

Post subject: Re: The economy is booming . . .
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 pm 
Addicted Stalker

Although a better economy won't hurt, in NASCAR's case it won't help much.

Lack of sponsorship money is largely due to declining interest. Sponsorship money is advertising money for these corporations, and is tied pretty closely to popularity.

Declining interest is due to several factors, which is a result of a poor product.

As with most large government solutions, NASCAR's attempts to fix the product have for the most part made the product worse. One does not even have to look at what they've done with the actual races, look at car rules. Regulating gear ratios and shock packages? Seriously NASCAR?

A better economy would be more likely to help track attendance a little than sponsorship money, IMO.

Oh, and good to see you posting!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:16 am 
Addicted Stalker

[quote="RacerX"]Although a better economy won't hurt,......Sponsorship money is advertising money for these corporations, and is tied pretty closely to popularity.

A better economy would be more likely to help track attendance a little than sponsorship money, IMO..........

quote]

Good points. We'll see what the attendance numbers do, since we're #MAGA and all, now. 'Course, it'll be hard to track......what with Danica only running Daytona. 8) No doubt viewership and attendance will drop off after this event.

Bonus Question:

Danica or the driver of the 24/9 car. Who'd you rather look at? :shock:

"Love the Sinner, hate the sin" ~~St. Augustine, roughly translated from the phrase "Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 am 
Addicted Stalker

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Excuse me while I clean my monitor....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:23 pm 
Obsessed Stalker

I'll try to say this and not be too long-winded, but you know me :D :wink:

The NFL. It is my contention (and true at least in two cases in this household) that the knee taking was not the cause of our anger, but rather the last nail in the coffin. A catch isn't necessarily a catch any more. The Patriots and the almost uncanny manner in which the officiating always works their way. The show-boating after a routine tackle. Blocking in the back almost a part of every kick-off or punt return, always against the return team. Moving the extra point spot back. The officiating and not so much when the calls were made, but a lot of times when they're not made. And at the times they are called. Or not called. Game-changing penalties seem to be more of a rule now, instead of the exception. Or the penalties that are not flagged. And of course the incessant and never-ending cultural/political preaching that seems to accompany every game these days, plus the over-analysis of the simplest things in the game.

Which brings me to NASCAR. Remember when NASCAR parked Harvick for a Cup race for something that happened in a Truck race? Or when Dale, Jr. said the following after being reminded that he had just won (again) at Talladega, and happily without vulgarity or rudeness in mind, said "Shit that ain't nothing, daddy won here 10 times".... and he got fined, and realistically taken out of serious consideration for a run at the title?

Little things like that add up. And I know I'm not the only one who noticed. And those are just two incidents off the top of my head based on what happened to two drivers that I like. And then there's Kenseth, who I also like, and the way NASCAR called a few races (think phantom cautions) in his 2003 title run. The Brickyard comes to mind, and I still contend he should have won that race were it not for NASCAR's convenient manipulation. And then how Kenseth was bastardized for only winning one race that year, when maybe if NASCAR wouldn't have interfered he would have had a few more.

And then we got the Chase. There was the beer throwing incident at Talladega that they tried to turn into a Dale, Jr. - Jeff Gordon war, but the real reason people were pissed off was because they wanted to see a race to the finish, which was setting up to be a barn-burner and I forget who spun late in that race (Vickers maybe?!?) but it was a single car spin and what did NASCAR do? NASCAR ran the remaining five laps to the finish under caution, giving the win to Jeff Gordon.

And they tried to use that to really push banning carry-in of coolers, although the beer most likely thrown at Gordon's car that day were from Talladega's "Bucket O' Beer" sales inside the track.

I could go on, but I know most of you have your own incidents and it is my take that there is no one thing, that stage racing was just the final nail in a coffin long molded by NASCAR.

When you can't sell out Talladega for Dale Earnhardt, Jr's last race, at a track where his old man was King.... you got a problem. I won't blame it all on NASCAR as it pertains to the last Talladega race last year. Dale, Jr. was stroking it all year, and that's how I'll remember him going out. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Anyway I could go on. But that's plenty and that's my take.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:37 am 
Junior Stalker

jlb wrote:

The NFL. It is my contention (and true at least in two cases in this household) that the knee taking was not the cause of our anger, but rather the last nail in the coffin. A catch isn't necessarily a catch any more. The Patriots and the almost uncanny manner in which the officiating always works their way. The show-boating after a routine tackle. Blocking in the back almost a part of every kick-off or punt return, always against the return team. Moving the extra point spot back. The officiating and not so much when the calls were made, but a lot of times when they're not made. And at the times they are called. Or not called. Game-changing penalties seem to be more of a rule now, instead of the exception. Or the penalties that are not flagged. And of course the incessant and never-ending cultural/political preaching that seems to accompany every game these days, plus the over-analysis of the simplest things in the game.

Which brings me to NASCAR. Remember when NASCAR parked Harvick for a Cup race for something that happened in a Truck race? Or when Dale, Jr. said the following after being reminded that he had just won (again) at Talladega, and happily without vulgarity or rudeness in mind, said "Shit that ain't nothing, daddy won here 10 times".... and he got fined, and realistically taken out of serious consideration for a run at the title?

Little things like that add up. And I know I'm not the only one who noticed. And those are just two incidents off the top of my head based on what happened to two drivers that I like. And then there's Kenseth, who I also like, and the way NASCAR called a few races (think phantom cautions) in his 2003 title run. The Brickyard comes to mind, and I still contend he should have won that race were it not for NASCAR's convenient manipulation. And then how Kenseth was bastardized for only winning one race that year, when maybe if NASCAR wouldn't have interfered he would have had a few more.

And then we got the Chase. There was the beer throwing incident at Talladega that they tried to turn into a Dale, Jr. - Jeff Gordon war, but the real reason people were pissed off was because they wanted to see a race to the finish, which was setting up to be a barn-burner and I forget who spun late in that race (Vickers maybe?!?) but it was a single car spin and what did NASCAR do? NASCAR ran the remaining five laps to the finish under caution, giving the win to Jeff Gordon.

And they tried to use that to really push banning carry-in of coolers, although the beer most likely thrown at Gordon's car that day were from Talladega's "Bucket O' Beer" sales inside the track.

I could go on, but I know most of you have your own incidents and it is my take that there is no one thing, that stage racing was just the final nail in a coffin long molded by NASCAR.

When you can't sell out Talladega for Dale Earnhardt, Jr's last race, at a track where his old man was King.... you got a problem. I won't blame it all on NASCAR as it pertains to the last Talladega race last year. Dale, Jr. was stroking it all year, and that's how I'll remember him going out. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Don't forget about the Charters. Remember when you had to show up and go fast to get into a race. Now you just rely on the Charter and if you don't have one you buy it off someone who has one and isn't using it (how is that allowed?). Why would anyone spend the money to start a team and build cars, travel to the track when there's only 4 spots that are available to non charter teams.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm 
Obsessed Stalker

Space Potato wrote:
jlb wrote:

Don't forget about the Charters. Remember when you had to show up and go fast to get into a race. Now you just rely on the Charter and if you don't have one you buy it off someone who has one and isn't using it (how is that allowed?). Why would anyone spend the money to start a team and build cars, travel to the track when there's only 4 spots that are available to non charter teams.

Indeed, and you are correct. We could also get into ticket prices, four day minimum stays in the Bristol area that have to be paid almost a year in advance with prices that were gouged because people had to have someplace to stay. I know this wasn't unique to Bristol.

And there are the phantom debris cautions that early on were known as Joonyer cautions. There is so much more that I could get into. My wife has her own stories, and some of the most disappointing for both of us were at Rockingham and Martinsville, two tracks that we both loved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:48 pm 
Addicted Stalker

NASCAR needs to get out of the manipulation of the natural progression of the race business.

And let the drivers be independent contractors, since that is what they are. (no penalties for hurtful words or stated opinions).