Board index
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welp
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:01 pm 
Indicted Stalker

That finish is not going to help bring any new fans to the sport. LOL at Fox for taking over 30 minutes to show a decent replay of what happened on the final lap. SMH.

Post subject: Re: Welp
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:12 pm 
Junior Stalker

So what did happen? We only got one crappy replay before TSN broke away. From what I saw the 10 was holding his line and flat out got turned.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:26 pm 
Stalker

hmmm....so 20 years ago car # 3 wins for the first time and it goes to the winner's circle today with a move reminiscent of the former driver of that number 3 - - -who didn't see that coming?? --- gotta love a wraslin' ending

and to a point - this product that is now shown as racing is one of the major reasons I've tuned it out pretty much completely for over 5-7 years or so....not much else on tv today and it's still winter outside but once the snow is gone and the weather warms up, then I won't watch at all - not that it matters to anyone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:30 pm 
Indicted Stalker

Totally shitty coverage by FOX at the end. First they totally ignore the fact Amirola got dumped out of the lead on the last lap of the biggest race of the year with about 20 minutes coming before the replay. Dillon was actually the first person on air to mention that something happened. Imagine if something crazy happened on the last play of the Superbowl and the network ignored it because the "story" of the which team one again after doing it 20 years before? And what the hell was with them cutting to the bumper cam on the last lap was so they would miss what happened? It is like they are more worried about getting the "cool shot" that will win them an Emmy for sports coverage(which is probably not voted on by people who watch sports)instead of sticking with the big picture.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:45 am 
Pron Star

They didn't show it because it would have ruined their 'feel good' moment....

that and it gave the chance for all the #FakeNews headlines "Dillon makes last lap pass to win 500" :vomit:

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:43 am 
Addicted Stalker

I thought they showed it a ton of times.... what it boiled down to, 3 didn't even try to pass, he just drove through the 10..... Everyone here knows I'm a huge NASCAR fan... and I hated that ending... nothing against the 3 guy, but that isn't racing....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 am 
Brainwashed Stalker

They may have shown it a ton of times, but it was quite a bit later.

I turned it off. And yes, I watched part of the race.

BTW Danica wrecked herself. Might have made it thru if she hadn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 am 
Indicted Stalker

Fun fact. Since Dale died on February 18 2001, there have been two Daytona 500s on that date. His former team has eon both of them!

It's life that scares me to death...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 am 
Addicted Stalker

Wow. That race yesterday was everything I hoped it wouldn't be. :annoy:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:12 pm 
Obsessed Stalker

mudslinger47 wrote:
I thought they showed it a ton of times.... what it boiled down to, 3 didn't even try to pass, he just drove through the 10..... Everyone here knows I'm a huge NASCAR fan... and I hated that ending... nothing against the 3 guy, but that isn't racing....

The 10 should have moved up to block a bit sooner and the 3 probably wouldn't have turned him around. The 3 turned him around but I put some of it on Almirola and a lack of experience in those types of situations, i.e., the last lap of the Daytona 500.

Oh, and for the record Fox's feel good Dale Earnhardt moment made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Dillon couldn't carry Jr's jockstrap, and Jr. had a hard time in his old man's shadow.

I don't like Austin Dillon, for the record. Never have. His winning meant nothing to me, because it had nothing to do with Dale Earnhardt. I did feel good for Childress though :)

eta, when blocking is the primary strategy of a particular kind of race, it ain't racing.

I've been watching plate races since 1988, and this blocking strategery is relatively new.... as a pre-defined strategy that is. Plate racing is a circus, but it used to not be such a circus as it is now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:25 pm 
Indicted Stalker

They eventually showed the replay, but it was quite a bit after the actual end of the race; no doubt on purpose. I couldn't believe how the Fox booth was cheering for Dillon as if he had made a clean pass for the win. They went on and on and absolutely ignored Almirola as if it didn't happen. Might as well opened a ditch and put Almirola in it by the way they treated him. Then for Chris Myers on the replay have the audacity to say "you see Dillon give the 10 car a little bit of a tap." A "little bit of a tap"???? I found it rather disrespectful. I was surprised they interviewed him before the end of the broadcast. But they were way too caught up in the "story" of the 3 winning the Daytona 500 to care otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

Let's be blunt...

...NASCAR is racist.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 pm 
Junior Stalker

off the pace wrote:
Fun fact. Since Dale died on February 18 2001, there have been two Daytona 500s on that date. His former team has eon both of them!

Was the first time when they held off throwing the caution long enough for Harvick to pass Mark Martin and then win it under caution?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:47 pm 
Indicted Stalker

It's clear that NASCAR is pushing a narrative today.

1. Dillon made a thrilling last lap "pass"
2. Almirola was blocking
3. Anybody would do what Dillon did.

It's like everyone involved (NASCAR, Childress, FOX, XM) is oblivious as to how much long term damage is done by the narrative that is being pushed. Ratings and attendance are in bad shape and there are very few casual fans that are going to be impressed by the WWE style finish that we saw last night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:23 pm 
Addicted Stalker

Bham wrote:

2. Almirola was blocking

It's like everyone involved (NASCAR, Childress, FOX, XM) is oblivious as to how much long term damage is done by the narrative that is being pushed. Ratings and attendance are in bad shape and there are very few casual fans that are going to be impressed by the WWE style finish that we saw last night.

Go to a local short track and do that ..... see what you got left for teeth the following week... they don't seem to see this crap trickles down.... "The professionals do it, why can't I ?"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 pm 
Indicted Stalker

Bham wrote:

2. Almirola was blocking

That's because they think they've found the narrative that's going to do the opposite and bring the fans they've lost back to the sport. They latched onto #3 heading to the checkered flag in the Daytona 500 and aren't about to let it go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

I watched it again, from multiple angles.

Almirola was blocking. The first block, moving up, was clean, Dillion started to make a move low and Almirola moved down to block. There was a bump, then Dillion went high and Almirola got turned.

Some of this, a larger portion than I first thought, is on Almirola.

And some of it is the a by-product of blocking being part of racing now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:18 am 
Addicted Stalker

According to a poll on RACE HUB, 65% of the folks say its just racing.... If that's racing, then NASCAR is doomed...

I also watched the deal multiple times, 3 never made a credible try at a pass, only a stuff.... If you can't pass with out stuffing, then you shouldn't pass...blocking or otherwise... many on here raced before, what would you do?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 am 
Brainwashed Stalker

I'd dump Almirola.

You armchair drivers have no clue how fast things happen.

Dillons big mistake was his "I stayed in the gas" comment. That's what you tell your crew chief, not what you tell TV.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18 pm 
Obsessed Stalker

Space Potato wrote:
off the pace wrote:

Was the first time when they held off throwing the caution long enough for Harvick to pass Mark Martin and then win it under caution?

I like Harvick, but Martin got screwed by NASCAR on that one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:21 pm 
Obsessed Stalker

Bham wrote:

2. Almirola was blocking

1. It wasn't thrilling, it was a flustercluck, which is RP racing. Did you notice that they were advertising Talladega, with wrecks of course :crackup:
2. Almirola was blocking, and he wasn't doing it very well which is why he got turned.
3. Dale, Jr. wouldn't have done that, at least not the last four or five years of his career. Which is why he went out the Mark Martin route. And not even nearly as good as Mark Martin was. Dale, Jr. retired with respect, a good reputation and no championships. I'll leave it to everyone else to dissect that in whatever form or fashion they see fit :wave:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 pm 
Addicted Stalker

I think ya'll are missing something... 10 and 3 are team mates.... I agree with no team orders, but dumping your team mate is freakin crude.... Ricky Rudd must be spinning like a top over that deal!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:06 am 
Brainwashed Stalker

Which yall are you talking to?

I think in hindsight after viewing the footage it was mostly a racing deal.

I have no dog in the fight, I like Hamlin and couldn't care less about Dillon or Almirola.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 am 
Addicted Stalker

Ricky Rudd lost his win for taking out the leader.... What changed?

Face book post winner.... speaking of Dillon, when yo got less honor then Kurt Busch, thats sayin' something...LOL

I have watched it a dozen times, Dillon never attempted to pass, not a single time... just drove through Amirola.... your good with that, fine with me...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 am 
Obsessed Stalker

RacerX wrote:
Which yall are you talking to?

I think in hindsight after viewing the footage it was mostly a racing deal.

I have no dog in the fight, I like Hamlin and couldn't care less about Dillon or Almirola.

Indeed.

With the following minor exceptions.

I could care less about Hamlin, feel like I should hate Dillon (but settle for just not liking) and could care less about Almirola one way or the other :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:35 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

mudslinger47 wrote:

I have watched it a dozen times, Dillon never attempted to pass, not a single time... just drove through Amirola.... your good with that, fine with me...

Well you don't know what you're talking about, so there's that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:21 pm 
Obsessed Stalker

mudslinger47 wrote:

Everybody behind Almirola was trying to get a run to make a pass, it was the last frigging lap FFS. I think I know what you're saying but I'm not sure I know what you're saying :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:58 pm 
Indicted Stalker

mudslinger47 wrote:
I think ya'll are missing something... 10 and 3 are team mates....!!

WTF?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 pm 
Addicted Stalker

Bham wrote:
mudslinger47 wrote:
I think ya'll are missing something... 10 and 3 are team mates....!!

WTF?

NOPE I was wrong!!!! wires crossed in brain!!