Board index
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OOAL Rules 2018
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:30 pm 
Addicted Stalker

READER’S DIGEST VERSION: Post four (4) picks before qualifying starts for the weekend Cup race, giving your guesses for pole, winner, runnerup and 3rd-place finisher. Results will be posted a day “or so” after the race. Score closest to zero wins.

LONG VERSION:
How about a little game of OOAL (Out On A Limb) just between friends? Once again, this game will be posted on two message boards: RacingStalkers and PeoplesRacingForum (Miss Chrissy’s board). You only need to post your weekly picks on one or the other, but if you do post on both boards, your picks must be the same for both.

The rules are simple: All you need to do is to pick 4 drivers for each race – the one you think will win the pole, and the 3 drivers you’re guessing will finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Your scoring depends on how far away from your guessed position that car actually finishes. For instance, if you pick jimmie-the-cricket to win but his engine blows up (heh-heh-heh) and he comes in 43rd, then your score for the win would be -42 (or 1 minus 43). Same method for the pole and 2nd and 3rd. Your score will always be in minus numbers, unless the racing gods truly smile on you and you get one or more positions current and score a zero. Or two. Or three. Or the highly-sought-after (but only seen TWICE) total score of zero. The score closest to zero wins for the week.

Your picks must be posted on either message board by the time qualifying starts. I try to remember to start a new topic for the picks for that week’s race by Wednesday. If you need to post your picks before that, please just start a thread, and the rest of us will follow along. If you’re unable to post your picks until after quals, we score your picks for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but you’ll have to take the default score (number of cars starting the race minus one) for the pole.

Exception: For the Daytona1 race, we don’t guess for the pole position due to NASCAR’s tendency to over-complicate things for the 500, and lately, they’ve gone even further to complicate the process.

Any cancellation of the usual qualifying method (weather, meteorite, etc.) will render our pole guesses invalid for the week.

Last season we discussed whether the default score for missing the pole deadline was enough of a punishment and whether those players had a jump on their competition. I did some research on each time one of us missed the deadline, and waiting was found to be no advantage whatsoever, so the default will stand.

If there’s a board problem that prevents you from posting your picks in time, please send me an e-mail at
vegas0307@comcast.net
and make sure that e-mail is time-stamped prior to the start of quals. Please put a reference to OOAL in the subject line or I might ditch it as spam.

We don’t play this game for any specialty races, just points events. Also, last year we had a few players check in for just a few weeks and then drop out. To be included in the end-of-the-year stats, you must play at least a third of the season (12 races). And if any situation arises that hasn’t come up before (and it ALWAYS does), I usually ask for the opinions of the players and then we decide from your comments just how we’ll handle that situation.

Any questions, please ask. Any comments, please post. Any complaints, please keep them to yourself…………

Post subject: Re: OOAL Rules 2018
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:39 pm 
Indicted Stalker

vegas0307 wrote:
READER’S DIGEST VERSION: Post four (4) picks before qualifying starts for the weekend Cup race, giving your guesses for pole, winner, runnerup and 3rd-place finisher. Results will be posted a day “or so” after the race. Score closest to zero wins.

LONG VERSION:
How about a little game of OOAL (Out On A Limb) just between friends? Once again, this game will be posted on two message boards: RacingStalkers and PeoplesRacingForum (Miss Chrissy’s board). You only need to post your weekly picks on one or the other, but if you do post on both boards, your picks must be the same for both.

The rules are simple: All you need to do is to pick 4 drivers for each race – the one you think will win the pole, and the 3 drivers you’re guessing will finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Your scoring depends on how far away from your guessed position that car actually finishes. For instance, if you pick jimmie-the-cricket to win but his engine blows up (heh-heh-heh) and he comes in 43rd, then your score for the win would be -42 (or 1 minus 43). Same method for the pole and 2nd and 3rd. Your score will always be in minus numbers, unless the racing gods truly smile on you and you get one or more positions current and score a zero. Or two. Or three. Or the highly-sought-after (but only seen TWICE) total score of zero. The score closest to zero wins for the week.

Your picks must be posted on either message board by the time qualifying starts. I try to remember to start a new topic for the picks for that week’s race by Wednesday. If you need to post your picks before that, please just start a thread, and the rest of us will follow along. If you’re unable to post your picks until after quals, we score your picks for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but you’ll have to take the default score (number of cars starting the race minus one) for the pole.

Exception: For the Daytona1 race, we don’t guess for the pole position due to NASCAR’s tendency to over-complicate things for the 500, and lately, they’ve gone even further to complicate the process.

Any cancellation of the usual qualifying method (weather, meteorite, etc.) will render our pole guesses invalid for the week.

Last season we discussed whether the default score for missing the pole deadline was enough of a punishment and whether those players had a jump on their competition. I did some research on each time one of us missed the deadline, and waiting was found to be no advantage whatsoever, so the default will stand.

If there’s a board problem that prevents you from posting your picks in time, please send me an e-mail at
vegas0307@comcast.net
and make sure that e-mail is time-stamped prior to the start of quals. Please put a reference to OOAL in the subject line or I might ditch it as spam.

We don’t play this game for any specialty races, just points events. Also, last year we had a few players check in for just a few weeks and then drop out. To be included in the end-of-the-year stats, you must play at least a third of the season (12 races). And if any situation arises that hasn’t come up before (and it ALWAYS does), I usually ask for the opinions of the players and then we decide from your comments just how we’ll handle that situation.

Any questions, please ask. Any comments, please post. Any complaints, please keep them to yourself…………

What, no mention of the Perfect Attendance Award?.......It's a Major Award!

Post subject: Re: OOAL Rules 2018
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 am 
Addicted Stalker

No3Fan4Ever wrote:
What, no mention of the Perfect Attendance Award?.......It's a Major Award!

:? I feel like such a loser........

:crackup: (making a note for next year's dissertation.....)