Board index
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3-car teams?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:27 pm 
Stalker

I'm not as plugged into F1 as other forms of racing, but I watch every race. Was surprised to see Caterham in Abu Dhabi, and thought they were just hoping for 10 other cars to fall out so they could steal tenth place points and Constructors purse. Saw this today:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20141127/f1/Caterham-remain-hopeful-buyer-will-come-through.545851

During the broadcast it was mentioned some other teams may run 3 cars at least at the start of the season to fill fields - are we talking S&Ps like Cup, or would these be real contenders? Can teams accumulate Constructors points for more than 2 cars per race? Does F1 allow older cars to run like NA$CAR does (NNS Impalas still ran for a year after Camaros introduced)?

Post subject: Re: 3-car teams?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:14 pm 
Addicted Stalker

Whether it will happen or not is still undecided. That's also why McLaren hasn't ditched either Button or Magnussen. If three cars are allowed, they'll keep both of them.

But as for the rules, those also would need to be written. It's happened in the past and only the top two cars scored points. Or maybe it was two nominated cars scored points. I don't remember.

Anyway, it's new territory if it happens. They can write the rules however they like. There was also talk of letting some GP2 teams run their cars in F1 as a second class, but I think that's mostly died down.