Board index
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings from.....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:46 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Location: America's Most Corrupt County and Fucking Proud of it.
The "local" dirt track

Yeah we got one :wave:

Midgets, late models and hobby stocks tonight :rok:

Post subject: Re: Greetings from.....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:58 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

:rok:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:08 pm 
Addicted Stalker

Didn't get to the track this week, went to the lake and Q'd up some chow with the extended family... Taking the grand kids back to Missouri this coming Wed. Then were racing at Wheatland Mo., Aberdeen S.D. and three days at I-80 in Ne. then back home.... that will get me caught up on my racing fix...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 am 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Damn, ain't been out to Sycamore in a LONG time. Was damn near a weekly regular in the late 90's and early 2000's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:29 am 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Lot of fun. Haven't been to a dirt track in a decade or more.

Sadly serious need of more cars for late models and midgets.

I'd never heard of the start up midget org staging the race. Badger Midgets are coming in a couple of weeks. That's an old organization with a valuable championship and they'll attract a bigger field. Hope to make it.

I'm thinking I'll venture down to Kankakee for late models soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:55 pm 
Pron Star

Been spending my life at race tracks the last two weeks.....and will continue that for the next 8 or so weekends at least....

Grands in Ohio was, well, interesting. Cookie managed a podium finish (third) in her Junior Novice A main after a lousy qualifying (our engine builder turned down the power she was making - not really sure why, so we worked on it after qualifying)...that put her on the pole in her heat, where she managed a 4th place finish after running two lanes higher than she should have. So she started last in the A main and worked through the traffic to get third of 8 cars in 25 laps. If she had woke up before 10 to go, she probably could have won the things - she was gaining two or so car lengths on the leader in each of the last 5 laps - but they were that far ahead of her by the time she made it through traffic.

Lil Red was quite snake bitten - we couldn't get a handle on the cars at the new track, with the new tire brand....and the 'new' loaner engine from our engine builder (he did get THAT straightened out before the heat races). Qualifying was Animal - 18th and Honda - 19th - middle of the pack. Went out for his first heat and got caught up in someone else's accident (one of the cars came down the track in front of him) - his car went airborne and he got hit on the elbow by the car AND on his own car. Got to him and he had no feeling in his hand and pain shooting up his arm to his shoulder. EMTs wanted to cut his fire suit...NO. We carefully pulled it off him and they INSISTED his wrist was broken ("See the bump?' I looked at his other wrist - same bump, same color). So we took him to the ER (after having to practically beat them off of us because they wanted to transport him in the ambulance the 5 minutes it took to get to the hospital). By the time we got there, the elbow was swollen, the numbness was gone and there was just a lot of tingling. Doc refused X-rays (I concurred), iced him up, gave him ibuprofen and sent us back to race the next day.....it was so quick in there, that, they were still racing when we got back (and there were only two more to go after his)...LOL. Anyhoo....he got in his Senior Honda the next morning and finished 6th. Both finishes put him in the C main. He started the Animal C main in 7th - was still there 15 minutes and 2 laps later (lots of wrecks - none were him) when the green flew and *FLASH* out comes the 4th of July fireworks from his brakes!!! Fire and smoking around the track - there was a yellow for another wreck - then they threw the red for him - but he couldn't stop because he had no brakes, the stuck throttle AND FIRE....dad and brother and another handler ran out to him...dad and brother grabbed the car and the other handler used the fire extinguisher!! He got out - had a 'burn' on his right shoulder (the fire suit didn't burn, but the heat caused a mark on his skin)..and, of course, the car was done (new brake caliper required - $100 bucks right there - turns out this may have been a problem all season....go figure). He started pole in his Senior Honda C main and lead more than half the race. On a restart, he got kicked out of 'his groove' and had 4 cars pass him. With 4 laps to go, there was one more yellow and he started 5th. His buddy hooked his left rear on the restart, kicking him out of the groove, and going back two spots...he tried to pass, but, no going and didn't transfer.

Overall, it was quite 'interesting'.

We raced Friday night and he got a podium in his Animal and a 5th in his Honda (after going to the rear for a call for 'charging' while going for third). His sister got a lesson in not running over fellow drivers - she bumped the leader and he spun - which, without judges, gave her the lead and sent him to the back; but her handlers chose to bring her in and move her to the back.... lessons learned more important than another checkers). Saturday night we went and watched the big track.

For the next two weeks, the kids will race one day - and my hubby will be back behind the wheel of a 4 cylinder the next two Saturdays.....

Should be fun

I know I bored you to tears....

:wave:

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:18 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Not me. I read it all.

I'm a sucker for little kid stories. :wave:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

what kind of 4 cylinder is he going to race.

Love to hear about the kid's races.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:46 pm 
Pron Star

Thank you both....

<3

Um...to answer the 4 cylinder question - I don't know... LOL They keep calling it the 'hoopty'....

Our friends' daughter got a 4 cylinder as she is only racing part time in the quarters this year (she is 17)....so, her mom also wanted a car - the deal that was made was mom could run it part time and, since they would need our trailer - and tow vehicle - to get the second car there, Bill would also run part time. My two older boys are part of the pit crew....

I will see if I can find the pictures....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:54 pm 
Pron Star

The 63 in the background of the first picture is the team's other car....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 am 
Brainwashed Stalker

Cool!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:23 am 
Grand Stalker Supreme

More like that.

Video will be cool.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:10 am 
Pron Star

I will be taking video - some live, some to post later..... LOL

I wasn't going to do 'live' but the Cub Scout parents want to watch while they are at a birthday party.... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:16 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Look forward to it.

ETA: that looks like a big car for a little kid. What ages are we talking again??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:48 pm 
Pron Star

Louie wrote:
Look forward to it.

ETA: that looks like a big car for a little kid. What ages are we talking again??

LOL

Nicole is 17; my hubby is 52....

;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 pm 
Pron Star

Senior Honda - Tommy "lil red" - 9

Junior Novice Red - Shanon "cookie" - 8 - she's the car with the paper 1 - from her heat race....

Senior Animal - Lil Red - this is the wreck he hurt his elbow in....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:08 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

JRM88 wrote:

TOO MUCH LEFT SIDE WEIGHT! :rollsmiley:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:18 pm 
Pron Star

RacerX wrote:
JRM88 wrote:

LMAO - especially when the right side goes over the wheels of the other car..... LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

JRM88 wrote:
Louie wrote:
Look forward to it.

LOL

Nicole is 17; my hubby is 52....

;)

Lol...17 is different. The other one is a big kid. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

JRM88 wrote:
RacerX wrote:
JRM88 wrote:

LMAO - especially when the right side goes over the wheels of the other car..... LOL

Well no wonder. He was trying to read all those numbers on that car in the middle :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:16 am 
Pron Star

Louie wrote:
JRM88 wrote:
RacerX wrote:
JRM88 wrote:

Well no wonder. He was trying to read all those numbers on that car in the middle :wave:

:lol: yeah....all cars in an event get assigned a paper number for scoring purposes......and, of course, the kids want their own 'real' numbers.....Tommy's have 14 and Shanon's have 01...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:31 am 
Brainwashed Stalker

JRM88 wrote:
RacerX wrote:
JRM88 wrote:

I injured my neck doing that. The only injury from racing that still plagues me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:27 am 
Pron Star

RacerX wrote:
JRM88 wrote:
RacerX wrote:
JRM88 wrote:

I injured my neck doing that. The only injury from racing that still plagues me.

I believe it.....it's the reason I picked the HANS device we did.....because it comes with a block to help protect the side to side....more of the injuries in QM's are from the side to side action, not front to back..... :( Travis' concussion was definitely side-to-side induced (we have video of it) because his neck 'brace' was not an appropriate thickness thanks to a rule - and no company meeting the requirements at that time.....took me almost 8 months to find a proper one .... on top of the 6 months I had been looking....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:26 am 
Pron Star

Back from the 'big track'....the other half has a big grin on his face - and finished 13th on the evening with his tire corded...not too bad. His teammate did not fare quite as well as she got wrecked on lap 'wa'..... :(

time for bed - we have to leave in less than 7 hours for the 'little track'...

g'night

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Video soon?

Going back to Sycamore Saturday for Badger Midgets. My son may go. I'll be taking the grandson again. We had so much fun last time. Whe hooted and hollered thought the whole thing. And a cheap evenings entertainment. I had a couple of beers and fed the grandson every kind of junk offered and spent under $50.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:18 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

Went back and watched the nephew-inlaw. He came from the back (threw belts on the heat and didn't finish) of about a 20 car field to get 6th.

Unfortunately, this track is adopting bad habits of the other track in the area - show was supposed to start at 8.....drivers meeting instead and hot laps at 8:20. Heats started close to 9. Then, at 1030 they took a 20 minute (halftime). His feature was first, thank goodness, and I left right after it. Got home (35 min drive) close to midnight.

They did run the show fairly well, once they got started.

I guess I'm an old man, that's too darn late to be starting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Red Bull is dad's little helper.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 pm 
Pron Star

I need to 'clean up' the video....today I spent time doing Lil Red's PR for Champion (and his other sponsors) and finally caught up his website; then I cooked, cleaned and toted the 15 year old around to work and then dental appointments. Hoping to get to the video tomorrow.

There is this - it's not the best; it's on Facebook from a live video.... he's the black car at the end.... https://www.facebook.com/chris.l.schwar ... 256479650/

He did do MUCH better in the feature race - he was catching the cars in front of him before a caution...and then the corded tire played all kind of hell....but he finished on the lead lap and 'won' $35 :lol:

The littles did okay too....a podium in Senior Animal for Lil Red (7th in Senior Honda - he sucked in that one - sigh) and a podium for Cookie in her new division (different restrictor plate, faster moving - oh, and in all honesty, there were only 3 cars - but she didn't get lapped and the girls she raced were 3-4 years older than her and have been running those plates for 2 months)....

so, yeah...I promise video by the end of the week....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:11 pm 
Pron Star

Louie wrote:
Video soon?

Going back to Sycamore Saturday for Badger Midgets. My son may go. I'll be taking the grandson again. We had so much fun last time. Whe hooted and hollered thought the whole thing. And a cheap evenings entertainment. I had a couple of beers and fed the grandson every kind of junk offered and spent under $50.

Oh how I WISH our track was that inexpensive....though this week was because it was "Pack to Track" night so admission was cheaper....

the kids love going - especially since a lot of the drivers are former quarter midget drivers...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 pm 
Pron Star

RacerX wrote:
Went back and watched the nephew-inlaw. He came from the back (threw belts on the heat and didn't finish) of about a 20 car field to get 6th.

Unfortunately, this track is adopting bad habits of the other track in the area - show was supposed to start at 8.....drivers meeting instead and hot laps at 8:20. Heats started close to 9. Then, at 1030 they took a 20 minute (halftime). His feature was first, thank goodness, and I left right after it. Got home (35 min drive) close to midnight.

They did run the show fairly well, once they got started.

I guess I'm an old man, that's too darn late to be starting.

No...that's WAAAAYYYY too late..... our track starts heats at 5:45....National anthem at 7; first feature race has cars coming on the track as soon as the last note is done. We saw 4 divisions plus two demo derbies (one was really good, the other - meh) and it was all done by 10.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:40 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

Devil's Bowl in Mesquite is the best I've ever seen at running a show. I guess they still are - Lanny (promoter) died last year and I think his family is still running it now.

They start when they say they are going to start. When a race is over the next race is pulling out onto the track ready to go, and they go pretty much that lap...not 2 or 3 "pace" laps later. Get in your place and race, if you aren't in your place, too bad - no 15 yellow laps of trying to figure it out. If they are running behind schedule, a shortend or eliminated intermission.

The local tracks around here...they alternate weekends running.......Lonestar is horrible about start times, lining up, everything. Rosebowl was good earlier in the year, but Sat night wasn't that good. They instituted "Raceceivers" about the time I quit racing in '08, to communicate with the drivers and help get them lined up......but to me it doesn't look like it helped much. Honestly, a lot of the delay was from the judges anyway....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:00 pm 
Pron Star

ooooo....Raceceivers is a dirty word!!!

one sanctioning body for what we race uses them, one doesn't (ours) - the kids from the other sanctioning body don't know how to slow down when the YELLOW FLAG AND LIGHT are displayed; and they have NO IDEA how to line up without someone in their ear. When Lil Red was on fire, a parent from that other group says to me "If he had a raceceiver...." I stopped her and said "He'd still not be stopping - HE'S ON FIRE; HAS NO BRAKES AND HIS THROTTLE IS STUCK. Just WHAT is a raceceiver going to do for him????"

Their kids don't know how to race without them..... sigh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:55 am 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Even before most all (there is only one left) tracks within the Chicago metro area shut down all the NIMBY villages had imposed noise curfews on them.

But that wouldn't have helped you. They were all 11:00pm or midnight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:14 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

Louie wrote:
Even before most all (there is only one left) tracks within the Chicago metro area shut down all the NIMBY villages had imposed noise curfews on them.

But that wouldn't have helped you. They were all 11:00pm or midnight.

I don't have a problem with them finishing at midnight from an 8pm start.

I have a problem with them finishing at 1:whatever from an 8:45 start that was advertised as an 8pm start.

At this particular track, there is a sun issue (driving into the sun going into turn 3 in the early evenings), but 8pm is a late start anyway, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

8:45 is pretty damn late to start. Is temperature a consideration?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

I just noticed your fb link 88.

It's not working for me :dunno:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:42 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

Louie wrote:

Nope, it's hot as hell all the time in July.

Perhaps that's a wee bit of an exaggeration...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:48 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

RacerX wrote:
Louie wrote:

I spent a Summer in San Antonio once courtesy of Uncle. I knew it was bad when the temp dipped into the 60s one cold night and I put on a field jacket :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 pm 
Pron Star

Louie wrote:

I don't know....I 'love' Facebook live because it allows people to 'be there'....but I hate it...because there is ALWAYS something not working....

I have actual video of the feature (well, about 3-5 laps in anyway).....trying to upload that soon.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

Louie wrote:
RacerX wrote:
Louie wrote:

I spent a Summer in San Antonio once courtesy of Uncle. I knew it was bad when the temp dipped into the 60s one cold night and I put on a field jacket :D

We have a saying "it's not the heat, it's the humidity". SA usually is pretty dry, so that helps with the heat.

Houston, on the other hand......is HUMID.

I'm 4 hrs north of Houston, but we've had Houston humidity all week. Temps of low 90's, but Heat Index over 100.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:00 am 
Pron Star

Racing weekend update:

Cookie - no one to race in her division so she got two 5 minute practice sessions....she got progressively faster!

Lil Red - Senior Animal heat - 3rd; A main - 4th after a late race spin going for 3rd when the throttle stuck - AGAIN - only 3 laps to go and didn't get up there
- Senior Honda heat - 4th; A main - finished 5th after getting shoved out of the groove after passing for third place - again with 3 laps to go.....
In general, it was a MUCH better night from the little redheaded driver.....

Bill - finished 7th in his heat; had a good start but then needed to do better with his line; no A main - Mother Nature won with a downpour again......(on a good note, we finally have the roof fixed in the old motorhome we bought with a pension loan so that traveling with Tommy's illness is a little easier for him; now we have to find out why the generator is running but not sending power to anything - sigh).....

Next racing for the younger drivers - July 30th; for the older driver - no race day until August 12th unless the make-up race comes up sooner....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:45 pm 
Brainwashed Stalker

JRM88 wrote:
Racing weekend update:

Cookie - no one to race in her division so she got two 5 minute practice sessions....she got progressively faster!

Lil Red - Senior Animal heat - 3rd; A main - 4th after a late race spin going for 3rd when the throttle stuck - AGAIN - only 3 laps to go and didn't get up there
- Senior Honda heat - 4th; A main - finished 5th after getting shoved out of the groove after passing for third place - again with 3 laps to go.....

Bill - finished 7th in his heat; had a good start but then needed to do better with his line; no A main - Mother Nature won with a downpour again......(on a good note, we finally have the roof fixed in the old motorhome we bought with a pension loan so that traveling with Tommy's illness is a little easier for him; now we have to find out why the generator is running but not sending power to anything - sigh).....

Next racing for the younger drivers - July 30th; for the older driver - no race day until August 12th unless the make-up race comes up sooner....

Need to get that throttle stick worked out.

In my modified, we ran a straight rod to the throttle, and had a toe loop on the accelerator so I could pull it back up (and off the throttle) with my foot if the throttle ever stuck. Don't know if something like that is possible.

I did have one stick on me when I was running mini-mods. I shut the engine off. I was driving someone else's car at the time, and full throttle overextended the linkage and it bound up. (it was a cable setup).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:28 pm 
Pron Star

RacerX wrote:
JRM88 wrote:
Racing weekend update:

Need to get that throttle stick worked out.

In my modified, we ran a straight rod to the throttle, and had a toe loop on the accelerator so I could pull it back up (and off the throttle) with my foot if the throttle ever stuck. Don't know if something like that is possible.

I did have one stick on me when I was running mini-mods. I shut the engine off. I was driving someone else's car at the time, and full throttle overextended the linkage and it bound up. (it was a cable setup).

They THINK they know what is wrong...it seems the new gear (the one that is making it FAST) has made a change in where the throttle cable is going through because it changes the height of the engine to the axle (so they tell me, I'm the PR and control the $$$ in this operation - LOL) - so they are looking to file off some the area around where the cable goes....because of what they are, the straight rod wouldn't work....most of the time, he can control it (under caution) by turning the car off and on with the switch....but he lifted coming out of the turn and, well, the throttle didn't....(when he was on fire at Grands, the whole system got messed up with the fire - and, yes, we have run all new lines, etc, since that happened....so, hopefully, now that they saw the cable has been right on the metal, we can get this solved....)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:45 pm 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Didn't make it out to the short track last weekend.

Too many T storms in the area. Don't know if they raced.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:32 am 
Pron Star

Came home with a win, a second - and a junked car - from the quarter midget track yesterday....

I titled yesterday "The thrill of the podium and the agony of the wreck"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 am 
Addicted Stalker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yaaaaaaa and dammit, all at the same time....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:53 am 
Grand Stalker Supreme

Thank goodness for people who want to own race cars on any level.

Been there, done that. Quote the Raven.....never more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:33 pm 
Pron Star

Thanks.....I see my photobucket took a dump here, too....

*sigh*

Still working on the video stuff - having issues with the computers here at home letting my make them 'usable' for internet....

However, here's a few pictures from yesterday (I changed to flickr)

ImageDSCN0530 by Chris Schwarz, on Flickr

That's Lil Red with his second place trophy - he DID grab the lead with 2 to go, but touched wheels with the car he passed and it slowed him just enough for the kid that went with him to pass both of them....he stepped on it and was able to hang on for second. The two kids he was racing for the win are 14 years old....so not too bad for a kid who turned 9 and 11/12ths yesterday ;)

ImageDSCN0513 by Chris Schwarz, on Flickr

That's Cookie getting the checkers from big brother (and Crew Chief) Travis

ImageDSCN0525 by Chris Schwarz, on Flickr

That's the 'big picture' of the mess we came home with....chassis is bent/broke where the bumper goes in....not sure of other damage to it, yet...have a call into the chassis maker and hoping to take it ASAP.....the bumper is now a piece of Art Deco, the axle is completely worn out (he TRIED to finish the race because, well, that's him), the muffler is finished (and he would have gotten a DQ had we let him continue), the pipe has been replaced along with the muffler....the crew chief is out looking over more as I type...we are VERY fortunate that the engine is fine - it's a loaner from our engine builder....

Did I mention we race on Friday night? (and did I mention that the kid that wrecked our car sent another kid out over the wall and into my hubby? thankfully - the kid that went over the wall AND my hubby are both fine)....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 pm 
Pron Star

Car is currently under thrashing and should be ready to go tomorrow night for Friday Night Lights.....