Board index
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EPA poised to scrap fuel economy targets . . .
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:13 am 
Addicted Stalker

. . . that are key to curbing global warming — setting up clash with California

The Trump administration is poised to abandon America's pioneering fuel economy targets for cars and SUVs, a move that would undermine one of the world's most aggressive programs to confront climate change and invite another major confrontation with California.

The Environmental Protection Agency is expected to announce in the coming days that it will scrap mileage targets the Obama administration drafted in tandem with California that aim to boost average fuel economy for passenger cars and SUVs to 55 miles per gallon by 2025, according to people familiar with the plans......

Once you go from a 10 mpg station wagon, which was pretty standard for a Mom in the 50s and 60s..........to a 30 mpg sedan or smaller SUV today, you have reduced the cost of fuel to such a minor expense there is little further incentive to pay for the very expensive technology needed to get fuel economy to 45 or 50 mpg. Which is where the regulations were set.

At 35 mpg: 10,000 miles per year will consume 285 gallons PER YEAR. At $2.50 a gallon? About $60 a month. Increase the fuel economy to 50 mpg (at a huge cost) and save about $200 per YEAR, or $17 a month.

How many folks want a much more expensive and less reliable car..........to save a little more'n 50 cents a day?

Now, how 'bout ETHANOL, ultra refined diesel and DEF?

* I thought Governor Moonbeam had determined bovine flatulence was the cause of global warming. :dunno:

"Love the Sinner, hate the sin" ~~St. Augustine, roughly translated from the phrase "Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum"

Post subject: Re: EPA poised to scrap fuel economy targets . . .
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 am 
Obsessed Stalker

Indeed. The 80/20 principle is now fully in play when it comes to "improving" fuel standards.

Here's a little real life ditty. My bride's 2010 Jetta TDI was one of the "cheater" vehicles. Well, the only thing that got cheated was the earth (playing devil's advocate here) because that Jetta (since the fix) has dropped 2-4 mpg. Now.... I was always under the impression that the more production you got out of a gallon of fuel, could be taken as a very reliable and trustworthy indicator that the fuel was being burned more efficiently which translates to less exhaust waste from said gallon of fuel. But that could just be me....

- sidenote - Can I say devil anymore? I mean his Popiness did declare that there was no hell :wave:

Here's the real thing with fuel standards and climate change in general. Look up at the sky. See that bright thing up there... yeah youse guys see that?!?

If that bright things burps or farts, the earth is incinerated.